A Randomly Selected Newspaper Headline:

The following is a randomly selected newspaper headline from many years ago:

Welcome to my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I assure you I always read and appreciate everything you have to say. Unfortunately, thanks to Blogger being, well . . . Blogger, I can not respond to comments nor leave any on your blogs. They simply disappear into the ether. Occasionally I will remember to respond in the next blog post I put up, but usually these good intentions slip my mind. So if you want to ask a question or get a response to any comments you may have please leave an email address or other contact method in your comment and I will get back to you.

I have also added a separate page to the blog for the Tower of Magic with a brief summary of all the rooms of the ToM in the one spot. The link is just below this and above the main body of the blog, or you can just click here.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Madame Bellerose's - Week Five

Having gone to the trouble of making a staircase and installing it before realising that the arrangement wouldn't work, I have re-designed the second floor staircase as pictured above. There will be either a fake door, fake windows or a bookcase along the back wall of the 'gallery' section. Possibly a combination of the above. As you can see, the gothic theme is upheld by use of a dark woodstain and repeated use of the classic gothic arch. For the curved stairs from the bottom to middle floors I wanted to do something that was different, but still at least a little gothic. I also needed some sort of railing that can be made to curve to match the staircases. I found some felt ribbon intended as a scrapbooking embelishment in the local craft shop. It is cut out to make an ornate swirly design. First I have to push out the pieces that were supposed to be cut out, but weren't, then I ironed the lengths of ribbon and painted them with very watered down wood stain so they will match the rest of the wood in the house. Next they recieved a coat of fabric stiffener to make them more rigid. Now all I have to do is cut the lengths of ribbon to the right size, add some supporting posts and newel posts at the top and bottom of the stairs and install the stairs and railings in place. Oh, and figure out how to make a handrail that curves for along the top. Then, once I find 16 suitably gothic finials for the posts, the stairs will finally be finished! With the work on the stairs (probably the single biggest task in the house) nearly done, I've been playing with furniture in some of the rooms as shown in the photo below.

No comments:

Post a Comment