A Randomly Selected Newspaper Headline:

The following is a randomly selected newspaper headline from many years ago:

Welcome to my blog. Please feel free to leave a comment. I assure you I always read and appreciate everything you have to say. Unfortunately, thanks to Blogger being, well . . . Blogger, I can not respond to comments nor leave any on your blogs. They simply disappear into the ether. Occasionally I will remember to respond in the next blog post I put up, but usually these good intentions slip my mind. So if you want to ask a question or get a response to any comments you may have please leave an email address or other contact method in your comment and I will get back to you.

I have also added a separate page to the blog for the Tower of Magic with a brief summary of all the rooms of the ToM in the one spot. The link is just below this and above the main body of the blog, or you can just click here.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Pumpkin Cottage


My Christmas present to myself this (well, last) year was Pumpkin Cottage, a kit by Petite Properties. It's a 48th (1/4") scale cottage, the first in their Storybook Cottage range.  I fell in love with this kit the first time I saw it and my bank balance cringes at the thought of more fairy tale style cottages to be released in the future.


In larger scales I tend to build then decorate.  In 48th scale, this is generally impractical due to the tiny space left to work in after assembly, so the inside was decorated before the kit was assembled.  The walls are painted in a pretty pale lavender with plum purple used on the wooden trims and accents.


Lavender and plum may not be traditional colour choices for the rustic cottage, but then I've never really done rustic terribly well and besides, this is a fairy tale sort of cottage so story book colour schemes should apply.  What I should have done differently is paint the front door solid plum - as it is the plum bars make it look like prison cell door.


The ground floor and fireplace and chimney are faux stone made using my trusted old pollyfiller technique.  This step was done first before the rest of the kit was assembled.  I glued the various parts of the chimney and fireplace both internal and external into position first so that I could then 'stone' the chimney in one piece, avoiding the ugly join seams in the stone that would have occurred otherwise.


 The stonework was painted dark grey over which successively lighter shades were dry brushed to give a stone-y look.  The upstairs floor is made of printed floorboards from an internet printable site.


Outside, the house was painted a pale petal pink with the beams in a darker plum pink.  OK, so at the moment it looks like the sugarplum fairy should live there, but I did have a plan in choosing pink.  I want to create a garden full of greenery around the outside of the cottage and pink looks good against green.  At least that's the theory.


For the roof I wasn't sure whether to go for grey slate tile or brown thatch.  As you can see the thatch won.  I decided that a grey roof would blend too well with the grey chimney.  The thatch is some cheap fur fabric painted a teddy brown.  I know the colour isn't quite right for thatching, but this brown works better with the pink walls that anything closer to 'real' thatch colour.


 Inside, I've started working on the furniture which is a mix of Petite Properties kits and handmade balsa pieces.  I just need to figure out what to do along the downstairs left end wall . . . .


So, who do you think will be living here?



4 comments:

  1. Es una casa preciosa y la has amueblado estupendamente,gran regalo navideƱo!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alennka, your cottage looks gorgeous... I bought the same kit for myself as well!! Great minds think alike :) Mind you I haven't even started it yet. Yours is just lovely.
    All the best
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,this is fantastic, I love the colours you have chosen,it made me think of the sugar plum fairy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How pretty! I've only made a couple of projects in 1:48 scale so far. It isn't my favorite but my house is overflowing with 1:12 and 1:24 scale projects so I may learn to love it soon!

    ReplyDelete